View Single Post
Old 04-06-17, 04:08 PM   #24
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
I live in Nevada, Ohio. Have lived there for about 20 years.
I have heard a weird hum there at nite for as long as I can remember.
I have Tinnitus but the hum is NOT a part of this.
I only hear the hum when I'm home and no one else can hear it.
I travel all over the U.S.A. and don't recall hearing it anywhere else.
I take Excedrin PM's at home just to sleep through the nite because of this hum.
It's also the reason I prefer to travel for my living. Just to get away from it!
If it is the phenomenen they call the hum, then it indeed most likely is no tinnitus, no disease, nothing like that, but maybe a dedicated sensitivity of the brain or nerves.

Quick research on Excedrin says that it is used against headaches and migraine. Do you suffer from these? Some hum victims say they sometimes hear that lower, rumbling sound at around 20-30Hz, and then it causes them a drilling, pinching pain - or nose bleeding.

Have you tried like I did, white noise? And especially that one sound file I introduced on page 1? For me it worked wonders, it completely neutralised the hum of 100 Hz. The other white noise variations (rain, waves, wind), just drowned it to a certain degree, I found a balance where the volume was okay to sleep with, but the brain was not just fixiated ion thge humming. Actually, I liked it. But that spaceship ambience sound for me worked wonders. Last night I did not even use that one, since the hum currently is not to be heard at night, but over the day.

There are reports of people who need to travel 100s of km to escape the sound, while others take it with them where-ever they go. It seems I am affected by a localised source of the sound, to, as I described with my travel to Lengerich and Osnabrück. 30-35km north-east from where I live, the hum is gone. When I reversed direction from there, it came back.

Most people cannot hear it. Sensibility for it may build up with growing age, and then drop again with even higher age.

In some of the texts I linked earlier, there are many links in the text themselves to even further essays, articles, sites.