View Single Post
Old 11-11-18, 06:27 AM   #1
Dirk Gently
Bosun

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 0
Default Community patches to SH5.exe

Hello everyone. I am relatively new here and I've recently bought both SH3 and SH5 and been trying to mod and patch them "back to shape" and make them playable. While I do own hard copies of both games, I bought them on Steam as they were cheap and having moved several times during the last decade I have no idea where most of my physical game copies are at the moment or what shape the discs are in. So, that's where I'm at right now.

I've hit a brick wall with SH5 because of the Steam version of the exe file and the "Genericpatcher". The guides that explains how to grab a non-steam version of the SH5.exe (1.2) requires a tool called InstallShield Cabinet Viewer or something very similar. I've been searching high and low, and been "forced" into less reputable sites on the internet in my search for this tool and I've had no luck since the links are dead or otherwise unavailable.

Is there a solution that I'm not aware of, or do anyone have the tool mentioned?

From a discussion on Steam regarding the issue;
"Its a bit of a hazzle modding the .exe but can be well worth it. The devs stopped supporting this game years ago but the modding community keeps trucking on with quite a few patches and upgrades beyond the standard mods.
Ex. you will be able to get a 10.5mm deck gun for your sub or even remove it entirely which was an option that was already present in the coding of the game but the devs never bothered to activate not to mention the greater variety of torpedoes.

Beware though that three programs are needed.
InstallShield cabinet file viewer (for opening and finding files inside a .cab compression)
Jonesoft Generic Mod Enabler aka JSGME (for controlling which mods you want to use in any one session)
TDWs generic patcher (for patching the game)

The second and third are easy enough to find through the subsim forum however the first one is tricky as hell.
I did end up finding the one I needed but not before inadvertently downloading a piece of malware."

https://steamcommunity.com/app/48110...1308585119112/

Last edited by Dirk Gently; 11-11-18 at 07:04 AM.
Dirk Gently is offline   Reply With Quote