View Single Post
Old 05-14-12, 06:08 PM   #4
Whiner7
Nub

Downloads: 69
Uploads: 0

"...so the mechanics might be different if you have some super mod like Trigger Maru"

Yep. TMO.

I've been thinking about it, and now I realize that when I am going in on a bansai surface-run with the deck gun, I've taken quite a bit of damage from enemy AA fire, particularly to the conning tower gear, but nothing close to sinking damage. (you can pause the game in Free-camera mode and go see which guns are firing at you--I often look up close so I can see where my deck gun rounds are landing. That, and I like watching the explosions up close!)

That being said, I think I'll save my AA ammo for the aircraft--preventing hull damage seems to be my biggest priority on long cruises and the best way I've found to keep it down to a minimum is to blast those bugs out of the sky before they get a chance to drop their bombs. I invested heavily into a top-notch gun crew early on and I'd say that only about 50% of dive bombers get a chance to drop their loads--the rest I end up dodging wreckage falling from the sky. I can't seem to reach the Liberators though (too high, I imagine), but fortunately a "Hard Port!" is usually enough to evade their bomb loads.

Your post did get me to try some testing. In the port of Darwin, there are 3 ARCO gunboats moored across the bay from the docks--emptying my AA guns into them set one on fire and left the others intact, while three torpedoes sent one below the surface in a personal record of 8 seconds after impact while the other two were violently thrown out of the water and about 100 meters onto the beach, leaving them flaming wreckage nowhere near water. They were hit hard enough the kill "marker" on my navmap showed the kills in the water.

As far as the aircraft are concerned, my "Best Missed Screenshot" is immediately after blowing the wings off of an incoming dive-bomber and having the carcass miss the heads of my deck crew by about 5 feet while one of the wings clattered off the front deck--If I hadn't remembered to lower my periscope, the thing would have snapped it right off.
Whiner7 is offline   Reply With Quote