View Single Post
Old 12-04-17, 08:19 AM   #30
Pirate
Lieutenant

Downloads: 152
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityWave View Post
I would also really like to see an update that at least addresses the graphics 4:3 scaling - maybe open source (Vulcan or OpenGL). The mechanics seem to be already there. I'm coming back to DW waiting to see how CW evolves some more. CW's got the graphics and AI but is a different style. It's more game than simulator. With that said, CW is a lot of fun. DW is more challenging and deeper. Just ugly as sin these days. I'd be thrilled just to see a cosmetic update. I'm a customer for an upgrade. The Sonanalyst web site suggests more of a space simulator under development, though still involved with USN on interfaces.
The bigger issue is the 16bit one that requires wrappers just to make the game run on newer OSs.
Anyway the 4:3 thing is not just making the engine technically run in the 16:9 aspect ratio, it's also needed to rework the background image bmps and reposition the interactive objects on each station screen cause now everything is done based on a 800x600 matrix.

Currently modders can edit the bmps contained in the grp files and moving position of the interactive objects requires hexediting the dlls which is a pain in the ***, to say the least, but it's possible.