Old 08-23-17, 09:42 AM   #6
kilen
Swabbie

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed150mph View Post
you run into some big issues there too.

1: size. The sonar sets in a buoy are very compact. sound carries further in water so you don't need a large receiver or transmitter to do the job. Buoys also have a relatively short range as it is. Compare that to the size of even a portable air search set. Without some breakthrough, I doubt you'd be able to fit an air search radar into the same space.

2: power. Radars use a lot more power to transmit which means you need a lot of batteries (which adds to the size) or you have a very short battery life (possibly not enough to fire your missile.)

3: detection. A buoy mounted ASR would have a very limited range, which means if the helo is close enough to be a threat, you'd be launching the buoy right above yourself which, sitting on the surface and radiating, gives your position away just as bad as if your raised a mast.

4: cost. Can you make a radar that would get the job done that would be cheap enough that it would be disposable?

In the end, even that is not fiesable.
oh yeah
sounds compromized...

a mini-drone then ? lol
but same issue about radar size or power there too... idk well then.
about radar size, on buoys (or eventually drone), i thought to similar sizes of what we find in 4th gen MR fighters cones (F16 maybe ? thats seems not such bigger... F15 is a bit too larger, i think, so let say any variant of fighters mounted radars taking already less space as possible in already existing variant)

note: about range of ASR, anyway, i thought only to an emergency cases radar, if helos, Tu142Bear or others similar threats are close enough to find us below, even with very low/very quiet state... maybe ~20to30kyd, even 25kyd range big max... that sounds enough for locking with radar and guide the depth-Stinger few mins later (wich could reach maybe ~10kyd range max with some adjustments of this variant compared usual FIM92 version ; its mostly for anti-sub helos threats i aim).

...IF a limited short range radar can help enough to reduce the size & make it hold on a quite larger buoy or mini-drone (not so "mini" anyway lol, but smaller than a Predator/Reaper, of course...)
i am thinking first to an hexa or quadricopter-drone, already existing now for civilians, wich can be quite big... just the question is, are they able to carry the weight of an -even smallest as possible- ASR...?
and needing also a bit complex system to be able to launch it below the surface, deploy his blades in fly next, at ~50ft alt, and taking quietly alt next to id incoming threats from optimal altitude, etc...

and anyway, in that case, not possible to use a wire to transmit datas to the sub... do any kind of high speed transmitter being able to operate below water ? i am not sure, probably with limited depth (wich could reduce intrest too, if sub must stay at something like ~100ft below surface to be able to receive target-tracking from drone, etc).

well, u probably right, its more harder than i thought first...
and thats probably main reason it never been used on subs yet.
(i thought mostly it was a matter of theory & how militaries imagined the subwarfare only, then enacting SAMs was useless in a sub by princip, etc... wich i was probably wrong. ...but yeah, seems firstly a technical issue beside, at minima, even maybe the only reason why we never seen that on modern subs...)

thanks for ur point of view, it was revelant.
cya

Last edited by kilen; 08-24-17 at 08:45 AM.
kilen is offline   Reply With Quote