View Single Post
Old 09-24-16, 04:13 AM   #30
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
... Actually, it runs itself on startup and offers to update everything on your machine. Commander Wallace is our Fedora expert.

Seems like there should be a way to use the GUI, but one of the reasons I'm not using Fedora is that they're still stuck on the computer geek position that if you can't use the command line you don't deserve to use Linux.
There is an update program in Fedora (KDE has "Apper") which uses the GUI to update everything... and I mean EVERYTHING. (which is currently in my taskbar showing me that I have updates... nope, all my Windows & Linux games (except 2) work at the moment, I want to keep it that way!)

It will update all the programs unless you specifically de-select an option.

Using the "Geeky Elitest" command line terminal (that only "deserving" Linux users know how to use ) you can use "dnf" (formerly yum) and update everything EXCEPT whatever you added to the "exclude" list in the config file.
(Sorry RR, but you give me so much "ammo" I can't resist!)

I've had Fedora on older HDDs, or dual booted since Fedora Core 3.
I've used too many different OSs and modded too many games, and coded way too much to be slowed down by a GUI.
However until I figured out all the changes, I did use the GUI interface for settings for the first several months when I switched over to using exclusively Linux. When in unfamiliar territory, having a "map" is very helpful. I don't fault anyone for using a GUI, but some times, I want the PC to do something specific.

But I used DOS first. I am VERY comfortable with a Command Line Interface.
For me a .txt config file is preferred because I can "search", then "edit" then save and go about my buisiness. Messing with a GUI that someone wants to change every 2 versions is more time than it is worth, FOR ME. (EXAMPLE: Windows, every other version thereof.)

I tried Ubuntu, but Unity REALLY didn't 'jive' with me. I REALLY HATE a full screen menu (see: android, Ios, WIndows 8/8.1/10), which I think KDE had in Fedora 16. (not sure which KDE version it was.)
(I liked GNOME's simple interface (circa Redhat9) way back when, but I could NEVER find the "config" in the menu, KDE it was there. So I switched.)

Fedora is not perfect, but it does flow well with me, since I like to set up EVERYTHING the way I want it.
There are some things that I have to change, but mostly I'm setting it up each time I install a new version, but it does keep me using the commands, and remembering where things are, and how they work, etc.

Barracuda

P.S. I forgot to mention this but, LINUX is the Kernel, it is the "Command Line". The GUI is built on top of that, so unless the 'Desktop' has gone through and made a Graphical interface for each and every program running on Linux, then some things will REQUIRE the use of the CL. Depending on how they interface with the desktop and program, they might not work with all desktops. I've had it happen before.
(Now I am running "Gnome Disk Utility" in KDE, and it works. But I've had several different versions of Fedora and a few other Distros, like, Knoppix, that the desktops were in a "transitional" phase, so using some programs designed for GNOME, etc, in KDE, didn't want to work.)

P.P.S. This had nothing to do with the OP, or M$.... hmm. I must be getting easily distractable... oh look! a squirel!

Last edited by BarracudaUAK; 09-24-16 at 04:38 AM.
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote