View Single Post
Old 02-09-15, 08:12 PM   #210
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havan_IronOak View Post
SH5 is a gripping simulation and the way that the SH series allows time compression makes it back into a game rather than the months of boredom followed by moments of sheer terror that I'm sure was the real life U-Boat experience. Travel-mode in SH5 is a nice step in the right direction but it should be more customize-able and more of the day-to-day management of the u-boat should be optionally delegate-able to the AI.
I completely disagree. To my mind SH5 eliminates the very factors that made AOtD and SH3 such great sims. SH2 was heavily criticized for giving players a canned campaign that repeated itself over and over, like a first person shooter. When it was announced in 2004 that SH3 would have a similar campaign system we, the intended audience, raised such a ruckus that the dev team took polls and ultimately bowed to our wishes. When they said that changing that would delay the release for six months (original release was set for September 2004) we said we didn't care. SH4 followed that, but SH5 has gone right back to the scripted campaign, demanding the player fulfill mission requirements that the real captains never heard of.

Quote:
I'm impressed by the detailed sinking data and the way that it's presented over at UBoat.net
Those very listings are a part of the basis for my Ship Names mod for SH3 Commander. The other is a copy of Robert Jordan's The World's Merchant Fleets - 1939.

Quote:
Also, I'm a long time fan of the Hornblower series of novels. I'd love to see more character driven story telling aspects worked into the missions.
As am I. Neal and I have had a friendly argument for years over which we prefer, Forester or O'Brian. As for story-telling, how would you see that implemented? For me the concept of a sub sim is to run the submarine and fight the war. I personally believe the whole 'talking to the crew' thing in SH5 to be a step in the wrong direction.

But that's just me.