Old 08-21-10, 05:06 AM   #6
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 275
Uploads: 0
The 4GB patch can be found here

http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

From the info.......

"This very little tool patches x86 executables in order to let them have 4GB (instead of only 2) of virtual memory on x64 platforms. This tool comes very handy for applications which need a great amount of virtual memory like games, 3D renderization, multimedia etc. To gain these 2GB, you just have to use this tool to patch the executable (*.exe file) of the software you want to have these additional GBs of virtual memory............
Why things are this way on x64 is easy to explain. On x86 applications have 2GB of virtual memory out of 4GB (the other 2GB are reserved for the system). On x64 these two other GB can now be accessed by 32bit applications"

This patch only works for 64 bit for 32 bit OS's you'll need the /3GB switch, numerous examples of which can be found using google. Such as this.....

"1. In My Computer | Properties | Advanced | Startup and Recovery, click Settings.

2. Click the Edit button under System Startup to edit the BOOT.INI file.

3. Find the current boot entry, which typically looks like this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

4. COPY this line and paste it at the end of the BOOT.INI file, and change it along these lines:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional 3GB Switch" /fastdetect /3GB

This lets you choose between a conventional boot entry and the /3GB boot entry. If something goes wrong when you use /3GB, you can always boot back into the original configuration.

5. Save and close BOOT.INI.

6. Click OK to close the Startup and Recovery panel.

7. Click Settings again, and in the "Default operating systems:" dropdown, choose the newly created boot entry with the /3GB switch.

8. Click OK to close everything. Reboot into the new profile. "............

and another example

"Setting the /3GB Switch

In lay terms, Windows usually allocates 2 gigs of RAM to programs and 2 gigs to the system. With the switch it changes it to 3GB for programs and 1GB for other things.

This is how you do it.

a) Access the boot.ini file by opening the System Properties dialog on "My Computer". Under the Advanced tab and Startup and Recovery press Settings. In the startup and recovery dialog press the edit button. This should open a text file with something close to the following content:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin

b) Were are going to modify it and make a failsafe so that if the mod doesn't work we can go back to the original setting:

Copy the last line and add /3GB to the end of it (make sure you spell it right). Between the parentheses type 3GB at the end so you'll be able to recognize it when XP restarts. Also if you don't have noexecute=optin add that too. The whole thing will look like this

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home Edition 3GB" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin /3GB

c) Save the file and restart the machine. Now you will have 2 choices when booting. Pick the '3GB'. If it crashes or you experience any other problems go back to the first option. Later try adding the userva=2500 switch to the last line of boot.ini and save. Personally I didn't have to use it. This is how the last line would look:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home Edition 3GB" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin /3GB /userva=2500

Also check System Properties and make sure that under the General tab it say Physical Address Extension at the bottom. "

Both these options however will not help if you are getting a install refusal. I'm a Win7 64 bit 6GB RAM user myself and the 4GB really sorted things out for me, I'm not familiar with the /3GB switch for 32 bit and only included the examples to try help those with xp etc. Both examples are quoted from the Roland Cakewalk forums.

Hope this helps.

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner
Fubar2Niner is offline   Reply With Quote