View Single Post
Old 08-17-08, 09:31 AM   #25
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 320
Uploads: 11

Thanks, Privateer for your support.
I did not mean to start an argument or flame war. I suspect the negative comments are really language and translation problems and not hostility. I have given up trying to express myself in other languages because I can't express my thoughts in any way resembling what I am thinking, and might even give offense because of my misunderstanding of the idiom.
I admire those who can do it.
I am a physician and while playing the game for enjoyment on a long patrol lasting a couple of months, I was struck on how unrealistic it was concerning health and injury, and what an useless idiot the medic was. If real life were like this, I would have to make my living somehow else and medicine would be my hobby.
So I started playing around with the files and contacted some people about this project. I was told when the files were changed, the game reverted them to normal when the game loaded at the start of a patrol. So I thought that is OK since you wouldn't start a patrol with half your crew throwing up, or with three of your officers disabled.
So I messed around with the saved game files and the menu files and found out I could have all sorts of disasters, accidents, illnesses and mishaps happen when the saved game loaded. I also found that the medic had a real function, not implemented in the game. And if he were not on board the patrol would be impossible to complete successfully.

These added uncertainties and complexities would make the game more enjoyable for me. Not knowing anything about programming, I thought it might be simple to write a program to write to these two files when the saved game loaded. I had no idea it would be so difficult, and I apologize to those skillful in this art.

I suggest we lock this thread and move on.