View Single Post
Old 07-17-17, 02:32 PM   #71
the_frog
Commander

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Exactly my point: when I discovered that the two New York class battleships had both guns in their late and mid-late war configuration, I thought I could rip them from SH5, but I was horrified to discover that Ubisoft guys fitted those ships with a fantasy armament
Well, well, Ubi did several fancy fantasy items. One is the 4.5-inch guns in SH5, which is partly modelled after the US 4 inch-50. Or the director towers of the SH4/5 Dido

Quote:
Twice the needed number of edges to be more precise: 24
Great ...

Quote:
Well, I see them more as a 3D blueprint than as a model ready to be fed in s3D. I think more than 3/4 of the time I spend for modelling complex objects, is used for figuring out shapes and proportions from photographs and flat drawing (and for looking for them), than for actually modelling. Sometimes I get stuck, and I can only proceed to the next step when I find a photograph from the 'right' angle, or when I have a mental illumination lol. So, for me, a good 3D template is always a good thing
I understand. As templates they may work fine if to scale.

Quote:
Have you seen the SH5 model of it? How does it compare to the real Didos?
The SH3 model was bad but was re-used in SH4, with some polygon-heavy nonsense added. This worsened model, with little changes, then made it into SH5 ...
So, it is about as close to reality as the equipment of the New York class
the_frog is offline   Reply With Quote