View Single Post
Old 03-23-19, 09:50 AM   #9
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

"Position keeper (Keep having to reset it or my sub is not angle any were close to were it should be relative to the target)"
Got to remember to click the red button to turn the PK off, otherwise you're shooting at where the TDC THINKS the target is. "FINAL BEARING AND SHOOT" should be with the PK off.

Also, the angle on the bow needs to be reset - that AOB is a royal pain, since when the target is far away the AOB should be less than 10 degrees, and it stays that way for a long time - then suddenly the angle changes faster and faster and ZOOM! One way to understand what's going on is to stand by the side of a road, watch a car coming. The aspect angle is very small, stays small, car gets bigger as it gets closer, then even if it's moving slowly you have to turn your head faster and faster to keep looking directly at it as it passes by.

That's the main problem with AOB, closer the target gets the more difficult it is to keep up with the increasingly rapid change in the angle. For that reason, my steps;

1. Q W Q W repeat, check the message window for "OPENING TUBE (number)" each time. Again CRITICAL VITAL IMPORTANT the game has an automatic "feature" that opens the outer doors automatically if you forgot to open them with the Q key before, and that feature ALWAYS screws up the firing solution. Gyro angle set, hit the ENTER key, oops you forgot to open the outer doors, here I'll do it for you, target is still moving by the way, there now the doors are open "TORPEDO IN THE WATER". Aimed at where the target WAS a few seconds ago, not where it IS.
Check outer doors open before starting the attack every time.

2. Speed, AOB, range and bearing are in the TDC, target getting close. The lead angle is going to be somewhere between 10 and 15 degrees off your bow when you shoot, for as close to a zero gyro angle shot as you can get. Since the AOB is going to change too fast to keep up, set it now for about 75 to 80 degrees so when the target reaches the firing point it will be close to correct. Switch the dial to the stadimeter.

3. Target getting really close to the firing point (stopwatch and a little math preparation helps here), turn off PK, up periscope, check range and bearing, click send range and bearing to TDC.

4. Target at the firing point, "FINAL BEARING AND SHOOT". Aim crosshairs at target, never mind the range since it will be about the same as the last observation a minute ago, but the bearing will have changed. Click send range and bearing to TDC, fire one.

While you're learning this I would advise playing with map contact updates on, kinda like training wheels for manual targeting. Just below the navigation map button is the attack map, that will show the relative positions along with a torpedo track line which shows where the torpedo gyro is set to go.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote