Old 03-23-08, 06:49 PM   #96
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk
Quote:
Phrases like "The irony, is that many of the "daring do" exploits people like to do in their virtual uboats, actually occured in the pacific and not the atlantic." makes me shake my head. These ppl obviously grew up in a world of propaganda, where their own ppl were daring heroes on dangerous missions, while the enemy was a grey dull mass of brainless order executers. A grave lack of education in these regards.
You just might want to stand back and qualify this statement. Very open ended and open for ridicule. Is this were the 'dissing' comes into play from the u boat fan?
I think that's a huge mis-reading of Ducimius' statement.

What he's getting at is the diversity of operations, including harbor raids, commando landings, rescue missions and other such things which were indeed in greater abundance in the Pacific. If you look at the history of the conflicts, I don't think there is any way to avoid this.

It's not to diminish the individual bravery of the men in both battles; it's to say that indeed by its nature the Pacific was more diverse and provided more opportunities for unusual actions which were few in the Atlantic where the battle was almost completely mid-ocean and focused strictly on the tonnage war. And strictly on the count of diversity of the types of actions, Ducimius is right.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)