View Single Post
Old 01-05-07, 10:32 AM   #24
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAST
I actually met with Bob Loya at Vivendi to try and put together a new Aces Of The Deep, but they weren't interested in the genre at all. I then tried to discuss the acquisition of the old Dynamix name and the classic titles with it...again, not interested.

We didn't have a team that LOVED subsims so making it as accurate as it was (you CAN pick the ship silhouettes out in a lineup) actually created a lot of tension - almost to a man NONE of them except probably Blake Hutchins and Myself really put their heart into it. Making Aces of the Deep (even under an assumed name) was out of the question.

We literally built the Enigma for less than Ubisoft spent on Soft drinks and Pizza for SH3.

I own SH3 btw and do play it. I even payed extra for the hardbound book. Enigma just couldn't compete with the hardcore sims - we didn't have the budget to make one, we didn't have the budget (or a publisher) that could promote one...it just couldn't happen.

If you take Enigma for what it is, you will enjoy it. I still play it, I still like it, I'm still pursuing avenues to get the multiplayer version made...probably a pipe dream, but....

BTW, shame on you if you play Navy Field and don't understand Engima...

--East
Thanks for the response. What you say might explain why ERT puzzled me. Half of it feels like a great sim (accurate ship models etc.), the other half like a silly arcade sim a la Secret Weapons Over Normandie.

Maybe the reason for me not enjoying the game is that I liked the "sim" parts of it, in fact very much, but it was ruined by the arcade elements.

Imo you guys did a really good job with the ships, the sea environment, and the sound. The alternate history thing was a very good idea.

Quote:
As for modding, you do know that there are modding tools to change everything from art to missions and campaigns right? You can't change the interface or add items (no script language), but you can mod quite a bit if the game.
I think where you completely failed was the sub stealth issue.
And that could have been cured with a simple config files controlling AI policies, sensors etc. When I had ERT (~2004) there was also no way to create new campaigns if you did not enjoy the sequence of increasingly difficult missions that came with ERT.

Quote:
I own SH3 btw and do play it. I even payed extra for the hardbound book. Enigma just couldn't compete with the hardcore sims - we didn't have the budget to make one, we didn't have the budget (or a publisher) that could promote one...it just couldn't happen.
I'm sorry you did not get treated better by your publishers / partners. But I don't agree with people spreading the idea that UBI was shelling out millions for their product. In fact I don't think the Romanians who made SHIII earned a lot. In some videos you see pictures of their horrible office in Bucarest - who of you would want to work there? I also bet they are always under a lot of time pressure (both SHIII and IV have a development time of approximately 12 months). I know it's not the topic of this thread, but it was the commitment of these guys that made SHIII outstanding, not UBI's cheques.

It's correct that I take subsims very seriously and personal. I am not blind though to see that some people love ERT. All people I know, however, threw it into the corner because of things which have mostly been mentioned in this thread.

GE

GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote