View Single Post
Old 11-16-17, 07:35 AM   #10
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Méo View Post
I don't think it's quite fair to condemn a whole legislation because of a single event.

As usual, it might sound boring, but we have to look at the statistics to see the big picture.

This picture include suicide, but you can take a look at the top 20 deadliest mass shootings if you wish.

And remember that California has by far the highest population in the U.S with 12.15% followed by Texas with 8.62%.

Quote:
There are several factors that work together to create a fertile environment for mass murder the United States. Those factors include: relatively high accessibility of guns, acute copycat phenomenon, desire for fame, widespread chronic gap between people's expectations for themselves and their actual achievement, and individualistic culture.
Fair point, I truly think there is a culture shift that accounts for a lot of this mass shooting phenomena. The 24 hour news cycle and barrage of news-as-entertainment creates an attraction for distressed and unbalanced individuals. No doubt that the huge number of firearms in our country plays a part, but there were a lot of weapons available before Columbine and I don't recall mass shootings were this prominent in the news and media.