View Single Post
Old 09-02-17, 10:24 PM   #43
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
No doubt!!! As I get older I hate running in the rat race in the city/suburb environment. I long for a yard like that with neighbors not very close. The crickets and the birds are you symphony. The true sense of " living in the country".
I can't agree with this enough.

When I'm at home in southern MO its a lot of this. Living in the woods with my peace and quiet.

During the academic year, I live in an apartment in a medium sized city in central MO.

There's pros and cons to each. Home is on the edge of the Ozark region and where the Mississippi river used to run (many many years ago). So home is a pretty good mix of flat river bottoms and hills with lots of forest and farm land. Central MO is in the middle of the Ozark region so some mountain land and not much flat land. I like the elevation and mountains much better than down south in the bottoms.

At home I have that awful third world level internet connection 3 out of 4 weeks a month but I can stand in my yard in my underwear and fire a gun in any direction without worry of hitting anything. (Of course I do NOT do this, but the capability is there). I love all the seasons when I live at home. Especially winter when it snows and fall when it's cool. However, at home, it's a pain to get to any sort of civilization for gas, groceries, entertainment, etc

At my apartment, it's the opposite. Weapons are strictly prohibited, internet is blazing fast, everything I need is a short walk or drive away and it's generally frowned upon to stand on the sidewalk in my underwear. Summer is nice. Spring and Winter are the worst in a city because rain/snow happens and suddenly nobody is able to effectively operate their motor vehicle anymore.

So I kinda get the best of both worlds right now. I get the city life for a few months and the country life for a few months.