View Single Post
Old 04-16-13, 07:51 AM   #7
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

Just thought I'd give an update on the YAP3 install, albeit a late report It's up and running, and I must say that so far, I'm impressed I know it's not state of the art compared to more modern sims, but as far as I could tell, the YAP team has done a superb job in giving this title a makeover. The graphics are good IMO thanks to the team's efforts to add a heck of a lot of objects (especially the carriers, which will kill your FR until you take off) to add to the immersion. The landscape was redone and from altitude, the jungles look convincing. As for the flight models, I have everything set to realistic, and although I really don't know if it's true to life, I will say that I can't pull off any crazy moves without consequence.
The only drawback is that you could only fly single missions that have, up to this time, been converted to the YAP3 format. Trying to fly the stock missions or campaign will cause a CTD. Another thing is that you need to purchase the mission sets, as they become available (converted to YAP3). The first set comes with your purchase, and the rest are a modest $14.95 USD. I already purchased two extra sets, which adds new AC by the way. I do like the fact that these missions are historical in nature, and are recreated as accurately as possible.
Another quirk I have is the lousy visibility over the dash when trying to land. The default view commands, which may improve things, seem to be nullified by my use of Track IR. All in all though, I'm happy with my purchase, as I get to fly in a theater with AC that up until now, I only saw on documentaries. Well that's pretty much it. Off to practice those landings
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote