View Single Post
Old 02-16-09, 07:44 AM   #39
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoToM
Also consider you have to have an internet connection to even get the game, why would you then play it on a computer without one?
This remark is absolutely typical for this kind of discussion.

Myself I was without internet for about three years. First I lived in a flat without a telephone, then I moved to a place where the technician couldnt enter the cellar because it was litterally filled with junk. I tried UMTS but they said it's not available or much too slow where I lived. I could go online periodically with the help of wireless routers but it was never permanent and generally too slow.

During that time I used to download demos and patches from the office or from internet cafes. I was very active online and participated in several projects in the web. I downloaded and tried Distant Guns during that time. Most importantly, I could play all my games without any problems or artificial obstacles.

People who have internet connections are completely ignorant of the problem. But they will learn as soon as they intend to move, especially in countries like Germany where internet is often not available for several reasons. And outside of Europe and North America, people with internet access in their homes are still a minority.

Imagine a world where all games would use this kind of "copy protection". Would people actually have to move to another place only to be able to play games?

This system is prone to failure for many other reasons, but internet access is reason number 1 why it must not become the norm.

GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote