View Single Post
Old 03-02-10, 10:43 AM   #6
janh
Stinking drunk in Trinidad

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default scripting

Scripting is potentially quite useful, BUT only given that the developers implemented SUFFICIENT scripting commands and language. If not, then it won't get you far.

Also note that scripts are slow in terms of CPU cost, i.e. anything that is not implemented in the game engine but is jimmy-rigged by scripts will likely slow down the game when run in numbers. Was the case with Operation Flashpoint, and remains with the Armas. Since Arma 2 there are at least scripting commands for doing almost all sorts of things except side-switching, or reverse config-value manipulations. It is awesome, but it takes a lot of time to implement complex things correctly, and it does slow the FPS notably if you run dozens of scripts on hunderds of units (ACE, SLX etc).

Quite obviously I would conclude that SHV is a bit more open to modding than SHIII. But I don't have the game, nor have I seen how the dynamic campaign is implemented, nor the scripting language. Assuming both of the latter are completely open source and powerful, and that modders fix things like the semi-manual TDC, the gamey-windows type interface etc., then I would say SHV shows huge potential. However, that alone is not sufficient reason to buy as long as the DRM remains. And I can wait as modders will take a few month to a year to get the first REALISM supermod ready...
janh is offline   Reply With Quote