View Single Post
Old 04-06-17, 08:38 PM   #1368
Benzin1973
Engineer

Downloads: 151
Uploads: 0
Default Why remove radio contact information?

I notice that on NYGM, radio contact reports do not have a speed report, and their reported heading used to be something more or less usable like NNE, SSW, N, etc. (something with say a 22.5º precision). But as of version 2017A (or maybe it was even before that?), we dont even get that, instead we get NE instead of NNE or ENE, or S instead of ESE.

We do get a speed report when the report comes in about a convoy or task group (via the messages window), but not for single ships. And the heading is just as innacurate (NE instead of ENE or NNE).

Personally i find that trying to intercept a radio report with such little information, (no speed and a 70º tolerant heading), is no longer a matter of doing carefull and accurate plotting for an intercept course followed by setting up an adecuate search pattern for the area, but has become more of a "luck" factor, just point the bow somewhere infront of the contacts general direction, make a saw pattern and maybe you find something.

Now, im not "complaining" about this, if thats the way the mod is, well thats that.
And besides, i allready made and use a small mod that restores speed (slow, fast, etc) and heading (NNE, ESE, etc) information on radio reports, both for convoys and single ship reports.

But i am curious why was this intentional lack of information implemented?
Is it historically accurate? only make the game "harder"?

Historically, Dint those reports come from the (few) German planes patroling, intercepted communications from the ships, lookouts on "neutral" ships and such?
If so then i think a more accurate heading like SSE and an aproximate speed would have been provided.

In any case, i must say i prefeer to have better contact information available, like speed (slow, medium, etc), and an estimate heading like NNE, ESE, etc.
One of my favorite parts of the game is getting a report, making the calculations to plot an intercept course with a set speed, considering the reported speed of the contact, plotting the course, the anticipation during the trip there if i will actually find something (if i did the math right), etc.
It felt like a "mini mission". Some purpuse other than just patroling random squares of ocean.
But i cant do any calculation to anything with just a "NE" and no speed.

Last edited by Benzin1973; 04-07-17 at 04:51 AM. Reason: just correcting a few errors
Benzin1973 is offline   Reply With Quote