View Single Post
Old 05-01-17, 02:33 PM   #7
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Sorry the thread is getting off track a bit!!
No problem, I'm the OP, and I brought up the cars...

Plus my first post included: "mechanical" hard drives, "RPM", references to "speed" and performance... and Cars are hardware, and they put computers in cars now...

The way I see it, completely legit!

Here the 'only' "Cleveland" was the 351, discontinued in 1973. But in 1971 a new tall deck Cleveland was introduced, in full-size fords. Went to trucks in '77.
I have a 400 "M" block (If you search for it, look for a "ford 400M", "ford 400" returns a lot of results for a race).

Here the 351 had "2V" open chamber heads (2.05" intake, 1.66" exhaust valves), or "4V" closed chamber heads (2.15" intake, 1.70" (I think) exhaust).
The 400M and 351M (1974-79) both used the 2V open chamber heads.
But I have seen the 302 Cleveland "2V" closed chamber heads... They would increase the compression ratio from 8.0 to ~10.1. I have some flat-top pistions which with the stock heads give 10:1 comp. ratio... so with both I would be sitting on a nice 11.0:1 - 11.1:1 compression ratio!

Worth about 50-60hp in otherwise stock trim, but I've done some other things to it!

I do like the the GT that you posted, I ran across the FPV GT for the first time in 2003.
I was playing Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (the 2nd one, NFS 6) and it had the TS50, so I went looking for the TS-50 and found the FPV GT and GT-P.

I REALLY like those, not as impressed with the ~2010-2016 models. Although I wouldn't complain if I was given the keys to one.

Please NOTE: To anyone stumbling across this thread while searching the internet for info on a Ford 400... YES I know it is a Ford "400" not a "400M".
HOWEVER, when I search the net (google, yahoo, etc) and get results for a race, or when I walk into the parts store and say "Ford 400",
and I get replies ranging from:
"Small Block Chevy 400?"
"You stroked a 351 WIndsor?"'
"Ford didn't make a 400."

But when I say "Ford 400M", then they understand that I want a 1970s tall deck Cleveland related parts and info.

Hence I use the term "400M", it saves me time and headache.

But back to PC hardware...

I have 4 Seagates in this PC, and only had trouble with the one. BUT checking the total run time of the drives (I bought them in pairs) of the "other" drive, is just under 6 months, out of a year, many time running for 3-5 days straight (I would just let the machine idle at night). And I tend to disable the "spindown" so that is ~6 months of constant use.
The first pair is almost 8 months run time under the same conditions...
I lost a spindle bearing, so the data part of the "drives" themselves are doing pretty good.

The biggest issue of the whole thing was the RAID 0, 1 drive failing takes the whole array down...
Plus, when I purchased these, the 2TB WDs were about $140-150, so $72 for the first, and $61 for the 2nd is $133, so it is still less expensive for that "slot" than a 2GB WD would have been.

Although, I wish the WDs were a bit less expensive too!
These were actually the last drive on my list for this machine.

Barracuda

Last edited by BarracudaUAK; 05-01-17 at 02:43 PM.
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote