View Single Post
Old 08-01-06, 10:35 AM   #12
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

All interested people, feel free to challenge me on aspects of my review you have questions about. I admit that I made some minor mistakes and missed some things, but I also say that this was neither intentional, nor is any serious issue listed amongst them. The one big issue I missed - already has been fixed long ago. that's why I still stick to what I have written. There has not been many sims in my life that convinced me that much like this one, despite it's some minor "issues". I even became not aware of many of them until not being told.

so far, I would only list these things as issues I would like to be addressed:

-currently a certain type of ground clutter stones could bring any tank to a full stop. could be solved by addressing the terrain theme in the editor, and replacing this type of stone with another one.
- not all sounds are direction-related, as i wrote in the review. Some are stereo, some are mono (but I challenge you to identify them during the first hours!)
- when the gunner is ordered to scan to the sides, he does that only for some seconds before returning to the scanning direction he had picked for himself, for whatever a reason. At least, his preference usually makes sense (scanning the forest if passing one at close range, f.e.). It's just that override commands by the TC are not followed as enduring as you sometimes, in certain situations, would wish for. No biggie, really.
- tanks can get stuck in water bodies that they should be expected to be able to pass through. Even amphibious ones. Well, this one is obvious in one or two of the default missions, and that's why I missed it in that review testing. So far the solution is to keep that in mind when brooding over the map and deciding your travel routes.
- I mentioned, I think, that suspension and gun recoil are implemented. Both is not. I mixed that up with a general animation of the tank, that tries to mimic travelling over uneven ground, and barrel elevation during gun reloading.

These are the things I messed up in my review, as far as I am aware. None of them is a real problem, some can be solved by yourself easily. Many questions ha been risen in the past concerning weapons effects ion certain types of vehicle armoury, but I still wait to see hard info on these being given. Not only can i not confirm them, I also would like to contradict them and say that I - like the developer - am unable to recreate them. Armour is designed to deflect shots and protect the vehicle, don't be surprised that sometimes you need several shots to destroy a vehicle, even if you would have expected to kill it with just one shot for it just has been a thin-walled IFV. Even the most sophisticated round from a tank gun is no laserbeam.

Last edited by Skybird; 08-01-06 at 10:40 AM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote