View Single Post
Old 11-08-07, 10:17 PM   #19
suBB
Chief

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

(notes)

Map status 110807

Subjects: SSP / base detection calculation / buoy data feed / AI engage / link promotion / run-time / 688 intel / closing

A.. SSP

The SSP has changed to CZ from SD to address issues in playability and fulfillment. CZ now offers the chance of 1st detection of blue force w/o relying on red AI to make 1st contact. CZ also gives 688 options to consider as well. I want to say this fix addresses said issues for both sides. CZ is working as it should at both 30nm and 60nm.

B.. base detection calculation

I figure the base detection for CZ under normal circumstances is how many times each time the map is loaded that human players will come into detection range of each other. The ideal target was 50% for both sides. Over a sample set of 12 MP sessions the base detection I came up with is 60% for both sides, where human intervention (choices made by players) will vary that over the base in real-time. However, base detection for SD is 1/3, ringing in at 30%, which is clearly unacceptable, as we figured in testing. Contributing factors to base detection are SSP type, size of op area, spawn, and possibly use of dynamic group especially combined with RSB. I’d prefer 50% but I figure there are other factors that may be beyond my reach to optimize it further into specification, yet the 10% margin can make up for that.

C.. Buoy data feed

Tests conclude that if the bear is over 30nm from a buoy that has made contact with the 688, the contact can't be processed and therefore the link can’t be promoted to allied forces. However, if the bear is less than 30nm (measured 26.7nm in testing) w/r to the same buoy, the contact will be processed and link will be promoted. Intentions of contact are based on current state of ROE. In testing once contact was made within range to process buoys, the bear intercepted the 688 and attempted to engage the 688 until it was destroyed (multiple attacks). In testing the bear lost contact with an evading 688. With buoys deployed, this tells me that the bear has about a 30nm footprint over the op area while in random search. I tried two different levels of altitude and the data link range was unaffected. AFAIK the data link range mirrors that of the helo and the FFG.

D.. AI engage

The problem we had in the design of conflicting interests is using this script revealed exact locations of opponents that were well outside sensor detection ranges, in this case red side submarines. For this reason I rather not use it for anything. Simply toggling ROE between opposing sides will accomplish the same thing w/o using this script.

E.. Link promotion

In testing, red forces needs to be mindful how and when they use AI for investigating links by means of link promotion. If a link is promoted by means of human influence over AI, it rallies all AI platforms to that area, including AI air and sea. What’s happening here is the AI aircraft (bear in particular) isn’t at maximum efficiency since the speed is reduced for a brief moment of time and the search is more concentrated over a smaller area. If the bear doesn’t make true contact, the search algorithm times out, and he resumes search by means of random search tactic and cruising speed of 400kts. For some reason, if the 688 is detected he will not track the contact even if he is told to using scripting.

F.. Run-time

Run-time has increased by :30, bringing the total time to 4:30. I asked around for 2nd opinions of the ‘usual suspects’ and they didn’t seem to have a problem with it. Also this will allow a little more breathing room in designs since I have more time to work with. However a run-time of 5 hours was a no-go.

G.. 688 intel

I added random intel for the 688 to occur anytime between T = 0 to T = 4.5 hours and based on the actions of the player he may or may not receive this intel. Intel will now include class of red maritime patrol and surface forces. I rather plot a solution to at least one of any of the air or surface platforms but that will cause more problems than necessary. I figure making mention of class is enough and how the player decides to use that for their benefit is up the player.

H.. Closing

With the new changes made to the map to make it playable while in the same time fulfilling for players, once again this has been an awesome learning experience that will carry over into the last two maps and definitely others to follow. At this point, Map A is a wrap. This map is pretty much finished. Minimal changes will convert this map into map 3 of the set, while the 2nd map will need an entirely new design. Also I’d like to revisit conflicting interests but this time with CZ, base detection calculation and increased run-time, but at the going rate that map currently uses SD, which I’m now not comfortable with.

A big thank you to the following for their support in this (hopefully final) phase of testing / optimization:

MaHuJa
Molon Labe
Oneshot
To Be
BobbyZero
Phil21
TLAM Strike
Sonoboy
Admbleeannoying
Foogleman

Last edited by suBB; 11-08-07 at 11:35 PM.
suBB is offline   Reply With Quote