View Single Post
Old 03-20-18, 09:57 AM   #13
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I would un-install the game then, and then re-install it. Try reading CapnScurvy's thread Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install. I don't know if you have Windows 10, which is what CapnScurvy writes about, but most of his comments can be applied to Windows 8 and 7 without too many changes. Be sure and delete the Save folder (usually "C:\User \YourName \SH4") prior to the re-install. SH4 will create a new Save folder. When you play the game, make a new save each time. Do not overwrite saves. Once you get a few Saves, you should be able to delete some of the older Save files. Do not click the "Save replay", unless you really need to see the replay, such as if your boat is sunk, but you don't know how it happened and want to "see" it. If you do Save a replay, save the game without a replay first, just in case. Try not to save when there is a lot of action around your submarine. The less you "stress" the Save file, the better your chances of having a good re-load of that Save. There have been several other threads lately about Save issues, so read around in some of those, and see what aanker and others have pointed the other members to.

You really shouldn't be having so many "glitches" with the game. Some of the problems you describe are perplexing, and probably frustrating, I'm sure...

Edit: Just happened to remember some Windows setup details... Do you have write-caching enabled on your SSD drive? I've been out of the loop on almost all things Microsoft since the Windows XP days, so I'm not certain of the validity of this in "modern" Windows, but back when, you had to be careful to let the write caching complete writing to the hard drive (flush) before you exited an application, which might have its own disk routines in that application, else you would end up with corrupt data. Like I say though, that was over 10 years ago. I am not certain if Silent Hunter uses Windows routines to write to the disk or not...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 03-20-18 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Edit
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote