View Single Post
Old 12-18-22, 07:39 AM   #3
Stewy1
Girt by Sea

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 34

Thanks Bob for the insight,

As an Aussie, I really didn't realize the 'network' of straits to get to Bremerton or Bangor/Kitsap - it'd be 'hairy' for a junior officer to navigate a boomer out to the Pacific!

Very sadly indeed, the naval installations at Bremerton, Bangor and Puget Sound are all too 'shallow' to get any of the DW vessels into...a bit like Faslane in the UK...

An LA will 'just' get into Everett (in DW - but not an Ohio or Seawolf) and it's also possible to dock at the Naval Magazine at Indian Island - and the Canadian base at Esquimalt.

I read that SEALs trained in the Olympic National Forest, but I think community complaints have stopped that?

I just did a 'knock together' mission, to photograph 10 trawlers operating in the salmon fisheries of southern Oregon, in my P3...it all went well until I was shot down by a mobile fishing base - who I didn't know was equipped with Stingers!

From my research, it really looks like a beautiful part of the world! I enjoyed putting the map together.

Cheers Bob,
Stew