View Single Post
Old 06-13-17, 05:08 AM   #35
stormrider_sp
Planesman

Downloads: 51
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandit View Post
I think this is a good idea, and you're generally right in what you are saying, however there are always exceptions.

Early 80s for towed array is a little iffy for me, I think the 688s just had the TB-16 starting out (so did some of the Sturgeons) but many of the others had earlier "clip-on" types BQR-15 and -23 if I'm not mistaken, which were a step or two behind the TB-16 and came with speed restrictions (would be very interesting if the clip-on Towed array could be an inventoried item like the sonobuoys, so if you ripped it off you could choose to fit another when you enter port).

As far as the sonobouys, I'm in agreement, typically I wouldn't think that the batteries would be as strong as what a helo could put out through a dipping sonar, however what I'm most interested in when it comes to buoys is if they act like they "should" specifically if they are alternated over / under the layer and if the AI will use / has to use patterns to correctly localize a contact. My understanding is that until the electronics got a bit more sophisticated, the passive buoys were very general with little to no bearing information, so typically patterns would be dropped and signal strengths compared to localize the contact (or you could risk just dropping an active buoy if you think that the passive contact is strong enough). The point I'm trying to get across is that I don't feel that dropping one buoy which is then followed by a rain of depth charges and torpedoes really fits with realism.
Regarding the Sonobuoys and other realism issues, the thing is that there are so many shortcuts and oversimplifications in the physics engine of this game that the mere fact of inputing real data won't necessarily give the expected real results.

In this specific case of a dipping sonar being stronger than a sonobuoy, the dipping sonar is also affected strongly by a perpendicular radiated noise coming from the host platform, the helicopter, while the sonobuoy enjoys a lower ambient noise and interference. Now, is the helicopter noise simulated? Is any noise even properly simulated*?!

Driving a submarine in 3d as you would in a Flight sim is really enjoyable, but there's just not too much of subsim in this game yet. I really hope that the devs will find ways to include old hardcore subsimmers in their public, cause, for me, there's really not much in there. For me the sole fact that soviet ssns start any scenario already pinging is already a show stopper.