View Single Post
Old 03-05-13, 01:38 AM   #35
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

OK, for those just tuning in, the preceding screen shot is NOT AFS I, but rather CaliEs's proposed version. If your confused, don't feel bad; I was too, when I first saw it.

Quote:
if the "time to position " < 1 minute then there is a problem with the minute display IMO.
I'm not sure what you mean here. If you are getting a wrong/confusing answer post/PM me with the complete problem (all set-up data) and I will look at it, and see what's what.

I consider the space for HOURS to be totally superfluous. If you have that much time to burn, you don't need a quick firing solution, you need to tell your XO, your turning in to your bunk, and wake you in good time.

It is not the purpose of this utility to compute intercepts for distant contacts. That can be done easily in plotting, or with other apps.

Quote:
Also conversion date nautical miles for ranges would be a good idea.
Fire control problems are usually done with yards or meters. See above.

Quote:
Time input because for position data who were availeable in the past and has changed if one wants to input them in the program.
I am thinking you don't understand the way this is meant to be used. Every observation of the target you put on your plot should be associated with a time. (The game will not let you mark it on the charts, but you should write it down on paper so you have it.) The idea is not to use this as a no-plot method, but rather to use this with your plot. So, for example, if I make my final observation at 1408 hrs. , I will then update my plot and check the data. Then, after I am satisfied with the data and set-up, I put the data in the program and hit the calc. button at 1410 hrs. If the solution comes back with a time to position of 2' 30'', then I know I have less than 30 seconds to get the scope up and fire the torpedos. Nothing else is required. In your screen, you have 4 different times displayed! Why? It is confusing and unnecessary.

Quote:
Torpedo-Impact-Angle = Track Angle ( if Track Angle < 90)
Track Angle - 90 (else)
This is not correct. In a zero-gyro angle set-up, the "impact angle" as you call it, is the Track Angle. It is called the Torpedo-Track angle, and since the Torpedo Track coincides with the Sub Track, The Torpedo Track angle is the same as the Track angle.

Quote:
Use AoB. Track Angle should be computed from the program itself
Track Angle = 360 - Target Bearing + AoB ( if Target Bearing > 180)
-Target Bearing - AoB (else)
Simply put, No! I specifically configured the equations in terms of the Track angle. Using the AoB offers no advantage, and is often a source of confusion in learning manual targeting. Why do I say this? Because the Track angle is constant, while the AoB will be changing moment to moment. It is much easier to plan an approach using the Track angle, than trying to recalculate/check the plot relying on the AoB. If you are confused about the Track angle, study the examples, and consider this:

At the moment of Torpedo Impact, the Track angle, and the AoB are the same!

However, I might put in code so 0 speed Sub/Target situations do not halt the program. It didn't seem that important when I was working on it.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote