Old 05-15-08, 09:17 AM   #103
Tomcattwo
Loader

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default Replies

Aqualung said:
Quote:
My problem is, have installed it ok but whenever I try to use it, it seems to hear my command but ignores it as it insists the push to talk button isn't pressed (it is). The keyboard is fine and the ` key (as you can see) is functioning ok (my first thought was it might not be - hey, got to check the simple answers first )

Any idea what might be going on there?
First thing I would recommend you try: Hold down the ` key (the press-to-talk button) for just a leeeetle bit longer and I think you find that your commands will be recognized. The program does take a finite amount of time to recognize what you are saying, particularly if there is a phrase you are using that may have additional command words at the end of it - the program must pause long enough in its interpretation to see if you are going to say anythig else or if it should act on what it heard to that point.

The additional time required to hold down the ptt key isn't all that long - on the order of a half a second or so. Try this and I think you'll find your problem solved. You'll rapidly get used to how long to hold down the button.

If that doesn't fix it or you find it too annoying to hold the PTT key down longer, then try switching from PTT mode to open mike mode (instructions on how to go to Open Mike mode are in the readme and the FAQ included with your download).

The question you asked is also addressed in the FAQ on page 3:

Quote:

Why isn’t SH3Speech obeying my orders??!

If you are using press-to-talk, make sure you are holding the press to talk key down long enough for the program to figure out what it is you are trying to tell it. Some commands, for instance, have other very similar commands with extra words tacked on. The speech engine must have enough time to understand that you meant “Starboard forty” and not “Starboard forty five”, for example. With a little practice, you’ll soon know about how long to hold the press-to-talk key. If it really bugs you, switch to “open mike” mode (see above).
Another reason this could happen is if you are using OLC GUI and don’t have the dials showing and you give a command requiring one of the dials to be manipulated by the mouse. Always call up the dials by ordering “Dials” or "Helm” or “Helmsman” before giving an order requiring mouse movement on the dials. This is not a problem if you are using GWX or stock SH3.
Another reason is that you may have the wrong resolution set in your SH3Speech .bat file. See below for correcting this problem.
Be very careful with your pronunciation. The speech engine is very good at recognizing things, but it’s still a robotic computer, and sometimes it misinterprets your commands. Speak distinctly.

Let me know via this thread if that does or doesn't fix your problem. Sink 'em all

@Friedl9te: Thank you for providing a very good explanation in your native language to Delareon! Well said!

@Delareon: What Friedl9te said: plus - please also forgive me for some of the "non-standard" German phraseology (you can blame Babelfish for "Nockel gelassen"). I am not a natural German speaker and I'm sure some of the commands look a bit strange to you. There are instructions in the readme on how to custom tailor your voice_commands.csv file to suit the way you speak, but as Friedl9te told you, you have to put in the commands phonetically for the (English speaking) speech interpretation engine from M$ to understand what you are saying in German. Keep trying

For all: V1.01 IS fully compatible as is with GWX 2.1, and also with OLC GUI Special (use the same SH3Speech_OLC files and setup as you did for OLC GUI 1.2.3). The same installation guidelines still apply (i.e. use JSGME to install SH3Speech_OLC mod AFTER installing OLC Ubermod/ OLC GUI Special).

R/
TC2