View Single Post
Old 03-10-17, 07:37 AM   #4143
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie
CapnScurvy, the TC does stop at 2048, as intended, but every once in a while, like twice a cruise (??), when changing stations, the TC does NOT drop back down. I was on a 16x while on the chart screen, watching my turn, lining up a shot approach, went to the periscope and the scope was ~UP~! But the world was bouncing all over the place like crazy. Then I noticed the TC was still at 16x. That would explain the periscope appearing to have been up. It just went up really fast... Went back to the chart, and went to 1x.
That sounds like a familiar stock game issue with Time Compression. You run it up to a high setting, but when action starts (more rendering of object models...convoy appearance; harbors etc.) you can't bring it down in a timely manner. It's like the game cycles through its rendering of information, and gets choked when you add something to its information digestion, like asking it to lower the TC. I believe this is more related to the game's engine that works in the background than anything else. There's not much we can do about that, except to have the bits of information that are feed into the cycle, as streamlined as possible....like having smaller image sizes when an object is rendered (use .dds, not .tga etc). The shear numbers of ships can make a difference too. FOTRS Ultimate has a lot of ships, putting a large group together in a convoy may be the worst thing we can do. We need to keep them simple. Besides, from what I've read, the Japanese didn't run convoys of over a handful of ships anyway. Nothing like what was done in the Atlantic. Keep it authentic, the game will run better.

Also, that's another good reason to NOT allow Time Compression to get above the Maximum setting of 2048. The faster the cycle, the less capable the game engine is to function as expected.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 03-10-17 at 07:50 AM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote