Thread: Falcon 4 BMS
View Single Post
Old 09-05-17, 08:41 AM   #34
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Take it slowly and be methodical.

I've been flying one version of Falcon or another for 20 years, and I still have stuff to learn. I don't know if that says more about Falcon's complexity or my mental capacity, but...

I'd recommend printing out the manual and the Dash-One. It's handy to have these documents available.

You have a HOTAS now and I recommend setting it up as close to the real jet as possible. Get the TMS/DMS/CMS stuff set up, or as close as you can within the limits of your stick's layout. I've never used that stick and don't know it's capabilities. For example, does it have a shifted function?

If you can get radar cursors and antenna elevation on some sort of analog control, it will be a big plus, especially the cursors.

Spend time in free flight learning the layout of the cockpit. How do I turn my lights off, master arm on, emergency jettison, laser and so on. Start your training by practicing takeoffs and landings. Touch and goes work great for maximizing your time. The F-16 is probably the easiest plane to land..if you know the correct parameters. If you get these correct, the jet basically flies itself down to the threshold. AoA and speed correct? Then just place the FPM on the threshold and fly it on down. A little flare, and land like a butterfly with sore feet.

Read the manual about how to set up your DTC tape. This lets you pre-program countermeasures programs, preset radio channels and perhaps most importantly, set precision steerpoints, which will be used to mark stationary targets and to deploy weapons like the JDAM and the SDB (small diameter bomb)

Once take offs and landing are done then pick a ground weapon to learn. Honestly, the easiest weapons to deploy in BMS in my opinion are the JDAM and the SDB. You want to study the manual and learn the procedure. JDAM deliveries are very similar to LGBs, but without lasing and no lase turn is required. Just plink and go. Love those things.

There are training missions included for most weapons. It's a good idea to run through each in turn as you add a new weapon to your quiver. In addition, when I was learning Falcon, I found the Mud Moving mode to be excellent. You get several weapon types and unlimited ammo. I spent hours and hours in here until I could repeatedly have success with each type.

If you have experience with other versions of F4 be aware that many procedures are more involved in BMS. For example it used to be that to guide LGBs, you just needed to flip the laser switch. In BMS, you begin with the laser in Training mode, and you need to use the DED to turn on Combat mode. Yeah, the DED, it's important in BMS and you should work on getting comfortable using it. Laser, package datalinks, fuel estimates, waypoint timing and much more is done in the DED so learn it.

Work through each ground ordnance you think you'll want to use. I tend to deploy dumb bombs (especially the glorious Mark 84), HARMs, JDAM, CBU, JSOW and SDBs. Mavericks are a whole new kettle of fish in BMS, and while I can use them, I am not what I would call 'qualified' in them even yet. They are fun to shoot, but too heads-down for me and I can always kill just as much and more with CBU.

To become proficient with ground attack weapons, you also need to be comfortable with your radar, sensors and MFD functions and options. Yeah, this is a lot to learn, but a big part of the appeal, at least for me. Learn all submodes and how to switch around. Having all of this on your HOTAS is best if possible.

Then do it all over again with air to air weapons. Or you could do air to air first. The biggest mistake newcomers make in air to air is failing to use the antenna elevation. It's crucial to finding the gomers.

Get a Track IR or head tracking alternative. Seriously. People fly without it, sure, and do very well. But come on, once you've flown BMS with one, you'll never go back.

Air to air refueling in BMS is hard. And frankly I've never needed to use it in a campaign, even in the Balkans. So you can safely save that training for later. But it's there, it's challenging and worth the effort to be able to do it successfully.

Once you feel comfortable flying the jet, using your radar and can deploy some weapons on target, it's time to start a campaign. For a first go I recommend the KTO Tiger Spirit campaign. It's the one that is most set up for success. Myself and the guys I fly with like to fly what we call HARMCAPs early in a campaign. Essentially it is a free hunt with two HARMs and Air to Air missiles. We patrol the front and lob HARMs at radars and try to pick off Red intruders in the air.

I could go on for hours, but I'll stop here. Bottom line is take it slowly and pick systems and weapons to master one at a time. Don't move on until you can perform that function reliably and without consulting a manual. Lastly, use Shift-P to 'freeze' the sim. It is pause, but with the ability to still click around in the cockpit. Very useful! Good hunting.