View Single Post
Old 01-17-12, 11:46 AM   #847
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krauter View Post
Just make sure he doesn't find out! Or else those awesome potions he makes you might turn poisonous
I don't buy any potions from him, I make my own. Then I barter whatever I don't want for stuff I will actually use, although if I can make enough of those myself the homemade stuff is usually better than what I can buy or find.

Quote:
Edit: Didn't read the post directly after that frau, and I totally agree, Smithing is essential if not for the gear, than for the fact I can double if not triple the cost of a piece of gear only by paying 60~160 septims for a piece of ore, if I haven't mined it already.
Yep, I think even if you have settled on a stealth or magic character but are still wearing armor and/or carrying a physical weapon of any kind, it is worth it just to get to the place where you can improve it as much as possible.

And you're right, everything I find now that I don't want to keep - which is most of it - I can improve to the point of making a huge profit on it. Generally I end up buying a lot of raw materials from the blacksmiths I'm selling it to just so they have enough money to buy it from me... which means the next load of found gear I bring home, I've already got most of what I need on hand when I want to improve that lot.

But at one point I had so much ore and leather and so many ingots in storage that I just went to Warmaidens and made as much as I could with what I had on hand, leaving enough ingots to improve every piece I made. Then I managed to sell it all by visiting every blacksmith I passed the next time I went out.

Now that I don't need the practice I just pick up what I can, buy whatever I need to improve it, and resell it.

I also got a lot of smithing experience making jewelry - it counts! And I find tons of gemstones, plus with the Transmute spell I can just buy or mine iron ore and make all the silver and gold that I want. But even having to buy the ore or ingots, I still turned a profit on it by enchanting it before selling it.

Between that and the enchanting and making potions to sell off (which usually means trading some of them for an alchemist's entire stock of ingredients, which means more potions to make and sell down the road) I currently have between 25 and 30 thousand in gold on hand which at this point will probably all go for training in other areas. The only other property I'm qualified to buy right now is the one in Solitude and so far I'm taking a pass on it, unless I finish out my next batch of quests with a really huge surplus. I still want the house in Windhelm eventually and that's not only cheaper but from what I've seen is a much better property anyway. Unless you hate Windhelm, which I don't.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote