View Single Post
Old 04-10-12, 09:11 PM   #7
krashkart
Navy Seal

Downloads: 100
Uploads: 0

I just finished Allan R. Millet's The War For Korea, 1950-1951: They Came From The North. It's more of an analysis of how and why things were done the way they were done. I think he did a pretty good job of unraveling the intricacies of policy and pride, while still telling the story of the guys who fought. He is fair to all sides and parties who were involved in the war. There is one more book in his series that I have to read (it covers 1945-50), and I hope that at some point he manages to cover 1951-53. I'll probably use his books as a benchmark to draw from when I read other books on the subject.

The next in line is The Coldest Winter: America and the Korean War by David Halberstein. He was a journalist on the ground in Vietnam. When he started his research into the Korean War he was surprised to find 88 books in his local library covering the Vietnam War, but only four books covering the Korean War. So far the first chapter is interesting. I think he is covering this from a more ground-and-up perspective. The story he tells begins with the 1st Cav at Unsan, just before the Chinese struck... when everything was so quiet it made a man's neck hairs stand on end.