View Single Post
Old 07-13-07, 04:49 PM   #15
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

A campaign - like in Falcon 4...? Not gonna happen, i bet money on that. F4 team themselves recommended everyone never to try that stunt themselves, that complicated it is. It costed years until the campaign worked - more or less - as intended, btw. F4 had so many bugs in the first years...

While the EECH campaign is more simplistic, it also is extremely unrealistic, and does in no way create battles that match what would be done by enemy commanders in real life. Dynamic missions, I think, are easier to be done in air sims, than in ground sim, since the starting positions in air sims can be more fluid and thus meeting the way AI wants to handle their automatted generation, without loosing too much realism (see Falcon), while that system does not work well in automatically orchestrating ground forces according to an elaborated tactical plan. I think that is the reason why until today no ground sim I know of has ever offered a reasonable dynamic campaign. Air tactic is very much about timing, while groudn tactic puts at least as much attention, if not more, on positions - and determining these is far more complex and difficult on the ground, than in an air campaign. It is also more decisive. An AI of today cannot acchieve that.

The tanks in OFP I do not consider to be tanks. Not even carricatures. I think of them as hopping tennisballs. I always ignroed them in mission deisgning, they ruined it all too easily. OFP is an infantry sim for me.

On the dongle, in summer 2005 eSim launched a public poll, asking what kind of copy protection people would find acceptable. The big looser was starforce, and any kind of intrusive software. Some thoughts on online registration procedures, which did not raise too much sympathy, too. The great winner was the dongle, which found huge public acceptance after people understood that they had to accept a kind of reliable copy protection anyway, and would not get SBP unprotected at all. Left with the choices that were available, a clear majority supported the dongle. Until today, voices complaining are extremely rare. i remember of only one guy in the past 16 months posting in the SB-forums that his dongle broke. that was because he stepped onto it.

I support it, too. It does protect justified interests of the producer (which esim fully deserves), and keeps my harddrive free of possible malware infestations and intrusive crap that harms my system (like starforce for example did). Many standard protection schemes (CD always in drive, etc), simply do not work reliably, and get cracked pretty soon, usually. Cracking a dongle is more work, and time-consuming, and more difficult to be spread as a "solution" for others as well - and that's what it is about, buzying time, making it hard to spread a crack. It's best for safeguarding company interests, and holds the smallest possible risk for the user.

Anyhow, no word on that question from them. We simply need to wait and see. I don't think they ask their customers a second time on this question anyway, since they already have gotten their answers.