View Single Post
Old 06-15-16, 03:58 AM   #192
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propbeanie
I'm curious here CpanScurvy: How do you built your "Stock Convoy" for the mission you're using? All the years I've been doing SH4 (since shortly after it's release), I've always made a particular ship "the leader", whether it'd be a warship, such as a cruiser, or a destroyer, or one of the Passenger ships.
The stock game Campaign .mis files don't use leaders....so I don't either. Better to emulate than try something different.

Right click on the map area you want your group to be spawned. You'll find this menu box:

Clicking the "Add Random Generated Group", you'll get another box:

This is where you give your Random Group a name....mine is Convoy_1. You'll get a marker like this showing on the map:

Right clicking the marker will produce another menu group; left click the "Define Group Contents":

This will bring up the following box that contains your various ships in "Convoy_1". As You can see I'm using the "Generic" pick of the ships (the game will pick for you from the specific ship type listed). I chose the Tanker, Cargo, Troop Transport ship types. There will be 12 ships total with this make-up since the "Units No" is 3 each. The "Unit Class" box gives you all the various individual unit type's found in the game (plus the Generic one's). If a mod has its own ships (like FOTRS) you'll need to have the mod "activated" thru JSGME to have them listed and available for mission making. Do this before opening the Mission Editor.

There is a place where you have to name a leader (the ME won't let you save anything if you don't).....I chose one of the Generic Tanker's as the "Leader Entry". Also notice I used the 700 meters as a "Formation Spacing". This is almost always what the stock game Campaign .mis files have for spacing..........Emulate, EMULATE.

Once "Accept" is hit, by right clicking the map marker again, you'll need to left click the "Group Properties":

This menu defines the Random Group. Notice there's nothing in the "Leader Unit" area:

It's in this parameter that I noticed the Gaggle to Haggle With mission had a "Large Old Passenger Carrier" as its "Leader Unit". I don't know for sure why this would make a difference, I'm not 100% sure that it does at all. But, there is a difference in convoy behavior, and this is one place that's different between the two missions.

By finishing the other parameters with the usual entries, this completes your random group "Convoy_1". With adding a "Human Controlled" sub to the mission, your ready to save your .mis as a "Normal" mission.

The convoy will stick together with a few minor jukes/jives....but its all very normal.

Quote:
Probably because I'm too lazy, with the "leader", I just have to make one waypoint...
That's all I do as well using the Group Menu "Add Waypoint" parameter. Also, make the convoy head in the waypoints direction by clicking "Head to Waypoint"....saves the time for the convoy to circle around before getting on their way.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 06-15-16 at 07:53 AM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote