View Single Post
Old 02-22-17, 12:12 PM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
I see the paranoia involving Microsnot is still going strong in the house of Skybird.

When it comes down to the nitty gritty of update win7 or not to update you are actually advising people to never update win7, that will make their PC systems vulnerable to any Microsnot screw ups that have been discovered and patched by the said company.

If people go down that route of not patching their system, sooner or later its going to kick them hard in the butt, it would be far better to advise them to use the Security only updates which can be downloaded from this link.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...update-history
I've posted this before somewhere on the site, you can completely re-install windows if you wish to and then apply this patch and add the Security only updates after it at your leisure. Aha I've found it.

If anybody has any problems with Win7 they should have a gander over to this sight https://www.sevenforums.com/ and have a search around there, if they can't find what they're after you'll have to make yourself a member like I did in 2012 and ask the Win7 experts, they're a knowledgeable group who are far superior to me or Skybird in the inner workings of Win7.
You are naive. That simple. Serious. Even on several expert blogs by technicians doing Windows and system for their daily bread and butter, the advise now is to no longer allow W7 to update at all. Even Woody has given up his "resistance" to this advice, indicating to not update W7 anymore now is sound and reasonable. But if you still think "OH, its mail from Microsoft, so it must be a good letter", then nobody can help you. Microsoft's record of not just broken but intentionally malicious "updates" by now is long, and has intensified tremendously over the past two years or so. Either you draw consequences from that - or you don't.

Or you indeed handpick your updates from the manual catalogue that does not go via Windows Update. But most people do not know how to do that and where to go, and it needs much time beign spend for investigating every single new update released, tech-speak that many do not understand anyway. Plus tgat sometimes Microsoft hides unwanted truths from upgrade descriptions anyway. The normal user hardly wants to invest several hours every week just to maintain his system. - Thats what brought me to Linux. Doing research on the latest W7 dramas for many hours per week in the end was no longer worth it for me.

Finally, I never recommended to just not update Windows7. Since I said it the first time one and a half year ago, I also said people should be aware of the risk and thus chnage the OS, leaving their not-updating W7 to exclusively the single mere purpose they still need Windows 7 for. Best way is like Robbins does, not running anything under W7 anymore. Kick Microsoft, and the other fat cats out and celebrate that you got rid of them. Second best way is my way: just using W7 as a game launcher, but do all the rest - surfing, emailing, work, office, whatever - under a completely differnt OS, if possible: on a different hardware as well. I have always said this. Not updating W7 anymore, and limiting the use of W7 and getting another Os - it all belongs together.

Last edited by Skybird; 02-22-17 at 12:22 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote