View Single Post
Old 04-09-15, 03:10 PM   #10
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

Right, I feel like I need to explain little bit of how the war was fought during the first days of the war, heck even I feel confused when I look at my magnificient maps!

On Karelian Isthmus, majority of the fighting during the first week were delaying battles. I have now added (roughly) the Mannerheim-line to the map, everything Southeast of that are battles fought by the delaying forces.

East Karelia is even more confusing as the reports seem to be quite bare bones and there is no main defensive line such as the Mannerheim-line.

It all should get easier to follow past the first week of the war.

3 December 1939 - DAY 4 of Winter War

Karelian Isthmus

II AK

Delaying battles continue. Forces now on Gulf of Finland - Rieskjärvi - Suulajärvi - Jaarila - Valkiamatka - west end of Valkjärvi - stream running from the east end of Valkjärvi to east line.

Apart from a small attack to Sahajoki, the day was calm. Enemy is most likely regrouping. Small enemy recon unit was observed moving towards Merijoki from Ino, using the coastal roads. Order was given to beat it back.

The troops were given a chance to rest. High number of enemy tanks towards Kivennapa - Liikola region.

III AK

Group R repositioned to the north side of Vuoksi and two of it's battalions repositioned to the Pitkäjärvi - Nurmijärvi - Vuoksi line.

10.Div beat back attack in Neusaari with artillery.

IV AK

Our troops attacked in Suojärvi area with two battalions and artillery support. Some progress was made, but eventually the attack stalled and the troops retreated to Piitsoinjoki. During the retreat in the dark, about 25 enemy tanks managed to drive past one of the battalions. Russian attack beaten back in Ägläjärvi.

Men from 5/JR.34 in Suvilahti. Lieutenant Viljam Toiviainen facing the camera.

Daily losses: 90

Last edited by Dowly; 02-12-16 at 04:05 AM.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote