View Single Post
Old 08-12-05, 07:55 PM   #5
Amizaur
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

The point is that the base SS-N-27 ASM missile never goes supersonic :-). It only relases supersonic second stage - graphics of this one are borrowed from AS-12 Keglar. It's only a first demo now, an example that it's possible to do and it works quite well. The SAM missile usually kills the subsonic SS-N-27 carrier missile but at this moment stage 2 is usually relased and going to the target at 1900kts. The ship have to fire second SAM to shoot down the supersonic stage, and sometimes doesn't make this in time before is hit... On the other hand if the missile is detected and engaged in subsonic phase, it's shoot down quite easily before it relases second stage.
It's a matter of SS-N-27 missile settings (knowing range to target), ship radar horizon, early detection, reaction times and some luck :-) To use it efectively you have to know range to target, so you have to do TMA and find a solution, if you fire it simply on bearing of the target, most likely you don't hit anything or it be shoot down easily. On the other hand, if you know range to target and set optimal enable point, it's quite deadly and even single one can pass ship defences sometime :-). It's side effect of current version shortcomings, but balances the game quite nicely I think. Not so easy to use (and kill everything on the surface by bearing only) as it was, but quite deadly if you work out range to target first. Sounds OK ? :-)
The missile model works quite close to what is known about real 3M54E, the only difference is that it does not detect targets in subsonic phase yet, the standard weapon sensor range is too short. It turns radar on during pop-up maneuver to be detectable by ESM (and give some warning to target, as real one) but actual target detection is done by second stage currently, that's why setting enable point right is so important now. In the future new version is planned which will make target search in subsonic phase and will relase second stage on optimal distance by itself, but it needs much work - I don't know when it will be ready so I'm relasing basic version now. It's only technology demostrator, an example how it could be done. But works quite good even now, me thinks :-) Try it :-)
Amizaur is offline   Reply With Quote