View Single Post
Old 01-26-13, 06:20 AM   #88
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNSRCaseySmith View Post
Skybird I have a question does the weather look much more realistic with REX? I mean does fog and and everything look better? Im tired of in stock FSX Ill be flying over a bunch of low overcast clouds or crappy visibillity below me and it will glitch and dissapear or clouds will show through other clouds sometimes.
Hmm...

http://www.aerosoft.de/_php_projekte...p?sp=fsx&p=rex

I have posted many screenshots recently in the screenshot thread, and in two or three separate threads on Airplanes. The weather in all these pics is a combination of REX2 and Active Sky Evolution.

Rex simply replaces the textures for clouds, water surfaces, cloud layers, sky, sun, plus some additional goodies like runways in wet and dry conditions, airport lights, and so on. AS translates the actual weather data you get via internet into the actual weather composition: different wind and cloud layers and the way how dense or broken they are painted, using the textures of REX. REX does this composition thing, to, but at least i n version 2 that I use it does not do that so good like AS. Current version for REX is called "REX Essentials+Overdrive". Try to find the version 2 as second hand item for lower price. With AS be careful, they check online your version and I think I had to register it during installation - buying this one second hand maybe sees you ending with a copy you cannot use.

Before you start into the addon frenzy, which quickly can become quite expensive, make sure you are satisfied with the stability of your FSX installation now. I personally - but that is a question of taste and intentions of course - would put a solid airplane addon before any other addon category to invest in.

Really, if you want to start speniong money in your new hobby, consider a solid airplane first, weather second, airport sceneries third. Traffic goes last because even your system resources are limited, and air traffic is a major hog on frames even if the code of an addon is more optimized than the Microsoft traffic routines. - Toy or simulation, what should it be? This probably decides weather you go with the weather or an airplane first. If gong with a more complex airplane you will note many differences, and many stunts you are doing now and take for granted, probably won't work anymore.

Quote:
On another note, I flew from Nagasaki to Fukuoka last night with the Bombadier CRJ71 and I actually did 2 manual approaches. The first time I had to go around because I turned off autopilot earlier but I thought doing so would disengage autothrottle, it didnt. So when I came in to land at 180kts I couldnt get the damn nose to drop .

Lucky enough, I realized what happened, performed a super manual go around disengaged everything came in to land but flared a bit to much and when the back wheels touched I hit the break and klablam! slammed the nose into the ground
Probably would have made the passengers vomit and the front gear breaking, also, wheel brakes are used only from a certain ground speed on, before it is spoilers and reverses exclusively. Many autopilot system differ between the autothrottle, the flight director, and the actual mode selector. In airliners, some of the automatic functions they may feature depend on the according system being active. That is also true for the autobrakes, which you find on big airliners, autospoilers. However, manual intervention (brakes, reverses, spoilers) often immediately end the auto-modes as described.

Quote:
The good thing is, I did it completely by ILS because I think Visibillity was 1-3 miles at sea level. And I didnt cheat
Practive leads to routine, routine leads to mastery.