View Single Post
Old 09-14-09, 09:10 AM   #275
cawimmer430
Torpedoman

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanfoe View Post
I have SH3 working with Windows 7 x64...

I've spent several hours trying to get SH3 to work under Windows 7 x64 (Ultimate - build 7100). I'm not sure which version of the DVD I have; I bought it in June 2006 in the UK. It has the serial number on the disk, rather than the back of the manual, but installation hasn't asked for it.

I have been getting a getting a crash in msvcr71.dll right after the red progress bar completed and before the main menu.

I have tried both updating and removing the starforce drivers, but the programs tell me no SF drivers are installed.

Anyway this is what I did:

1) Install the game by running setup.exe on the DVD normally (not as admin). I installed into D:\Games\SilentHunterIII; not sure if that's significant. I told it to also install the 'Direct X 9 codecs', which previously I had not; also not sure if that was significant. I cancelled when it was time to install the ubisoft updater utility (I forget its name now).

2) Install silent_hunter_3_dvd_1.4b_emea.exe as admin (right click > Run as Administrator). If you don't run as admin you will get the common complaint about de_menu.txt (and en_menu.txt) being an unknown version.

3) Install the No-CD patch. I saved the 5 files it replaced to a sub-folder of SH3, so I could restore in case I needed to.

4) Ran the game as admin. I have exited the game and I can also run it as 'me' (not admin) as well

5) Also: No need to use 'compatibility mode' on the shortcut or program properties - run it straight and not as admin.

I hope this helps some others with similar systems and problems!

Cheers,
Andy

I just followed these instructions to the letter. The game won't work on my computer with Vista 64bit.

I still keep getting the message that it requires Windows 95/98/ME, NT, 2000 or XP to properly run.

Someone please stop me from committing suicide!
cawimmer430 is offline   Reply With Quote