View Single Post
Old 05-05-16, 01:25 PM   #127
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquelarrefox View Post
I fiend little references about time.yt? It Said, a torpedo with maintenance, would need from 10 to 15 minutes. So a pistol change could take about 25 to 35 minutes, I think because it shouldn't be much complex than extract, change and pull into again. What you think?
That was my thinking as well. I would think that removing/replacing the pistol would be a series of bolts and replacing a gasket, based on my own experience working on motorcycle engines. Then the pistol would have to be modified. I would guess that you would want to build a piece of equipment for combat deployment that can be switched with minimal training and necessary equipment, since it would be happening in the field. This is just my own opinion based on how things like this were done in my own, albeit 90's era, military experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey117us View Post
I will add that from u-boat KTBs during the first 10 days of transit the U-boat would during a dive to A -30 ( 30 meters ) withdraw and "Level" torpedos ( for accurate Depth keeping of torpedos ) charge the batteries, degaussing with vasaline and Self-ventilate after charging for 15 minutes. This ventilation occurred in the tubes only. Also leaving for patrol Tube 1 was empty, tubes 2-4 were stored torpedos "not ready. 3 were stored Port. 3 starboard. 2 under the floor. And one air torpedo to be "quick readied" for opportunities for tube 1. Later I will post a link to some documents. For certain procedures. But like I said reading KTBs is very helpful as Kaluens wrote usually dived to A-30, Torpedo Maintenance. Das Boot accurately showed part of this procedure. At least tube 3 in this scene was a TI as they inserted Boat Air Supply.
Yes, the KTBs are an excellent source of info. I used them for reference.

In addition to what you mention there were a host of other maintenance tasks to be performed for the boats, e.g. they had to dive every 24 hours and "trim" (level) the boat by transferring fluids fore and aft. The vast majority of this stuff is beyond the scope of this mod. I tried to put as much info into the players hands as possible such that they can make their own decisions on what to impose on themselves. Every person plays their own way, and I tried to give players as much freedom to implement stuff from the mod as they wish.So, when I made the mod, if I could find a way to effect the game, then I put it in the mod. If I couldn't, I gave the player the tools and info to make their own semi-informed decision.

For me personally, I can't see myself implementing anything from this dive info into my gameplay as it would require me to dive for a period of time that ultimately would be a guess and...that's it. Considering we can compress time and distance is a mess because we use a cartesian map instead of a globe, I feel ok with not diving for a period of time every 24 hours without sacrificing any "realism" and/or opening a wormhole in the space-time continuum.
rudewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote