View Single Post
Old 07-14-17, 06:56 AM   #15
Destex
Sailor man

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PL_Harpoon View Post
So, what you're saying is, the whole concept of TMA in Fast Attack and Dangerous Waters is BS, or is it just the techniques they encourage?
No, that's not what I'm saying. I didn't play Fast Attack but DW TMA is just fine because all it gives you (when AI crew is off) is bearings. You can't fool it because it's restricted to pure math which is great. You manipulate the target strip in order to find the solution. You will note that if you didn't maneuver, there are infinite possibilities for a solution. If you did maneuver, this range of possibilities start to shrink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PL_Harpoon View Post
I'm asking because they seem legit. If you get a constant set of bearings and the target isn't changing course/speed a single course change can give you a pretty good solution.
That is completely true. However, implying that what allows it is the geographical disposition of the sub, as the quoted part from FA manual do, is nonsense.

TMA is an art of relative movement, it's conducted against a moving element. It's essentially a process by which the target bearing rate is collected on different legs of the sub. The more you get, the better the solution will be. To put it in DW terms - The range in which a single target strip's dots will stack against the lines of bearing will be restrained to a single position - that position is the solution.