View Single Post
Old 08-06-17, 10:22 AM   #1011
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I gave up on VMs under Linux , once I got myself to finally check it out closer. For those gamne/sim titles that I need Windows for, for example Assetto Corsa and Raceroom, or FSX, or SBP, I would not just need the sim running, but also additional controller hardware: Fanatec stuff, CH gear. The games ran like #### and drivers for the hardware messed things up even more. Linux drivers for these things: non-existent. So what use would it make for me to have any racing game running under Linux if I cannot use the - sophisticated - Fanatec hardware for game input? None, obviously.

Some of the games I use, are also available for Steam OS/Linux. That is nice, but still leaves out many other games, and simulations are an even worse aspect of it all.

Thats why I so desperately depend on Windows 7. If it would be all well with simulations and gaming in Linux land, i would have fired Windows 7 off my HD completely by now.

While there are exceptions to the rule, it still is a valid rule: Linux and the vast majority of games do not fit well together. Linux is for surfing and work - not for gaming in general. There are exceptions, but again: exceptions do not define the rule.

Driver support for all that hardware out there is one of the weak things of Linux.

My advise thus remains the same: two systems. One Windows gaming system, one Linux everything-else system. For hardcore gamers and simmers, Linux simply is not alternative.

Check steam, you will see that amny games are avialbole for Linux/SteamOS by now. But then, check out also how many games are not.