Weps

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I'm a Blender user myself, let me know your findings
I asked on Reddit and got this comment

Quote:
"Blender is mostly ok. Maya is better for UE4, but I get the feeling the Epic devs themselves use it, so that makes sense. Skeletal import is more difficult from blender, but for everything else, it's mostly the same

"
So anything character based it sounds like I would need to freelance out to Maya users. Or learn Maya myself. Then comes the problem... I've built my livlyhood (and thus the ability to spend as much time as I want on hobby projects) based off Blender training series and YouTube training videos.

I own Maya but I havn't had the time to learn it yet.

Once I'm done with this chapters (C++ Chapter 4: Computation (Vectors, statments, loops etc)) drills and exercises, which is the last "basics chapter (the rest of the chapters are about memory managment and graphics and more advanced stuff) I'm going to see how well Blender works with UE4 4.6.1 (I havn't even compiled the new version yet) and d some research... If Epic doesnt support Blender as well as Unity does then they are losing out on the market they are trying to grab: the hobbyisys/small dev teams.

I'll record my process. I'll quote you again when if I find out anything intresting... and for anyone else who might be following thinking about joining on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Once upon a time I was a C++ developer ... ... rotate the 3d model on the Y axis when space bar is pressed.
While I'm here on the forums I'll add that I was thinking the exact same way as you, Unity felt "easy" and you could "jump right in to any idea". Once you watch a couple videos on the basics of UE4 its so similar to using Unity the first time "OK this is a little confusing, but overall its making sense very fast"

Support... the UE4 community it turns out is amazing and HUGE (since theyve been around since the original Unreal Tournament years) and since it "costs" a WHOLE 20 dollars a month with no free version (I consider 20/mo free) it removes all the 13-year-old idiots that think they can make the next Call of Duty in about 2 days with a few assets and some code bits copy-pasted from the internet. The community seems very mature and open to helping: at least so far.

As well for support I've heard that people asking questions on the forums and even places like Reddit they get answers from people as high up as Todd Sweeney (The guy who runs the show) and I've personally seen people with the tag "Unreal Engine Developer" or similar titles under their username on the forums helping out brand new users with simple questions. That really stands out for me.

BTW I don't quite understand what you meant by "that Unity excels as it is a walk through of project setups".

Back to C++ drills. 5 down 11 to go, then 23 exercises and I'm gonna start-up UE4 and do some basic practice.

Last edited by nsomnia; 02-25-15 at 12:31 PM.
nsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote