View Single Post
Old 08-03-06, 09:09 PM   #15
SubSerpent
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Ok, I got the sim today in the mail and just tried it out. My findings in the brief 15 minutes of gameplay so far.

Scale 1-10 (1= poor and 10=outstanding)

Graphics = 8 (Water could use some more texturing and for lack of weather system at the moment) Not too bad though and GREATLY improved over the original Steel Beasts sim. Much more realistic looking and authentic feeling this time. Game still has more to come so this might even bump up to a 9 down the road.

Sound = 7 (Not too bad here either. Tank Commander sounds like Lee Ermy from Full Metal Jacket and it can get a bit annoying, but it is authentic and real sounding. Other tank comms sound weak and that is what really needs to be bumped up here IMHO to really make it more realistic. There isn't enough urgency or emotion in radio comms from other tanks that are being attacked. There isn't any death screams or yelling from what I have heard so far on any radio. Lack of sounds, causing the ones that are there to be used more than one wants to hear.

Gameplay = 6 (If you want to play this as a game only.)

SIMplay = 10 (The way it's meant to be played. This does not mean that it isn't fun, but I see where a run'em and gun'em type of person might not find this enjoyable. However, SHIII fans should give this SIM a try while on shore leave

VALUE = 9.5 @ $125 (I used to think of it as too much, but now I see that is a fair price for what you get. It IS a simulator, but there has been a LOT of work put into this one that does shine out right from the get go. I think it is worthy of a 9.5 only and not a 10 based on the fact that we have to pay for a firmware USB dongle that is used to keep the game from being stolen. It is effective and a lot better for the PC than STARFORCE though. Just don't lose it!!!

OVERALL = 40.5 out of 50 total points

out of 5

Last edited by SubSerpent; 08-04-06 at 09:35 PM.