View Single Post
Old 04-21-12, 03:07 PM   #38
11Bravo
Medic

Downloads: 157
Uploads: 0

Where are we?

A good question to ask in a thread about navigation.

I guess the big news is that the stars are accurately modeled in SH3. It would have been nice if the developers had told us that, instead of finding out 7 years later. It would have been noticed earlier except for two things...the clocks are not easily understood and the external camera views have a distortion that introduces errors in the vertical (and perhaps horizontal) angles. Also the navigation map doesn't make locating your latitude, longitude, or time zone easy. I will continue to try to overcome these unnecessary barriers in the game.

(Another reason is that I didn't have the courage to report my incomplete results of several years ago. I have resolved now to report my results and my ideas as I go forward to atone for my poor judgement on this matter in the past)

It took a lot of testing to find this. And further testing is needed to find the limits of this method. I have no doubt there will be some serious limitations to this method. My immediate plan is to qualify the flak gun sextant in the same way I showed above. After that I will demonstrate the method of celestial navigation to yield an error triangle and measured position. (I showed one earlier in the thread) Then I will fix up the previously released mini mods and release what I have so far as another download. That will conclude the second voyage of U-13 "der Seeesel".

After that, I want to tackle the sun. And then the moon. And continue to test the nautical chart, nautical clock, the sextants, time speed distance measurements, study some morse code, learn the enigma machine, and if I find some time, I might even attempt to sink a ship.

If anyone is interested in hundreds of loading test missions, making detailed measurements, and reporting the results privately, feel free to PM me.
"Sounds of terror are in his ears; While at peace the destroyer comes upon him." -- Job 15:21

Last edited by 11Bravo; 04-21-12 at 03:42 PM.
11Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote