Thread: [REL] Le Fantasque class
View Single Post
Old 07-16-17, 01:56 PM   #68
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Hi The_Frog

In the past few days I have been reading information on the guns that you need for equipping your upcoming model and, seeing how many US ships had those guns fitted aboard (some of them even featured in stock SHIII, IV and 5), I must say that it is a scandal that no one has modelled them yet.
So, being the curious (and lazy) guy that I am, I have decided to have a look into the sketchup model that you pointed me to, and I hve also managed extraxting some meshes from it. Here they are, after some basic reworks by me:

Far from being a perfect copy of the real guns, I think those models look pretty decent though. Indeed, besides the usual reworks imposed by missing polygons, normals facing the wrong direction, etc, they will require a good polygon reduction (they are way beyond the poly count limit you gave me).
What do you think? Should I go for it?

Something I have noticed, is that the the look of the 3"/50 gun varied quite a lot during its long service. The model above probably reperesents an interwar mark (Mk 20 maybe?), when New-York-class battleships were re-fitted with those guns. Do you think it is okay for your upcoming model, or we should go for a later mark?
gap is offline   Reply With Quote