View Single Post
Old 02-16-17, 04:55 AM   #50
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Thanks for your time and effort Barracuda but don't go to that much bother, I am hoping next week a friend of mine will be able to help.
Due to distance (150Kms) I counted it out but after all the pain I've been through I might take the trip.....
WOW!!! 2 weeks... I didn't realize it had been that long since my last post...

Did you manage to get it sorted out?

I did finally get a Virtual Machine setup and get Ubuntu 16.10 installed....
The way I managed to get it "the way I wanted", was I chose to manually create the partitions. Much simpler than it sounds, but ultimately I managed to get it sorted the way I wanted it.

I think you might have to choose that option.
The good thing is this: it won't actually make the changes until you start installing.
So you can "create" the partitions as many times as you need to, with out actually touching the hard drive.

If you haven't sorted it out yet let me know, And I can walk you through it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
This computer bios is running UEFI mostly for Win 10, I have switched it over to Legacy bios but every time I try to run the Linux disk I get a fatal error.
I think I will have to remove all partitions on sda and sdb and start over.
The only issue with using the UEFI bios, is as RR mentioned, Ubuntu will setup for UEFI, then it won't be configured for the regular old bios. (I turned mine off on my new desktop... but I'm not dual-booting.)
However, you can leave it on and it won't hurt. I know Redhat/Fedora use a "shim" to make the system work with UEFI, Debian/Ubuntu has there way of "making them (UEFI) talk".

If your "live dvd" isn't booting with the regular bios, then I'll have to dig for an answer, as that is a totally new one to me.

---------------------------------

In the VM, I installed Ubuntu with the Unity desktop, I still don't like it.

BUT my recent adventures in Linux land have gone like this...

I pulled one of my R9 380s from my 8 core, as they are supported by the old Catalyst/Crimson drivers, and the new amdgpu open-source kernel driver, and (during the beta, in Ubuntu), are supported by the new AMDGPU-PRO driver.

I pulled it, and placed it in my older dual-core, replacing a pair of HD6750s.
I installed Fedora 24 and updated to the latest kernel. Tried the latest installer patch make the last version of Catalyst/Crimson drivers work with the 4.9 kernel AND... blackscreen.
Well, nuts.
So I uninstall it, and reboot. Then I use the Fedora update tool, and update to Fedora 25.
As I can't get Counter Strike Source to run higher than 12fps in the stress test, and Unigine Heaven benchmark won't actually start with the opensource driver.

Now with Fedora 25, I'm getting the same results. I find out that a kernel boot setting is preventing amdgpu from working. So I remove the setting and amdgpu starts. But crashes with an error that I can't find any reference to on the web.
So I decide, since everything is running in software mode anyway, to install all the desktops.
and a bunch of irrelevant comments about them here....

So I can say that you aren't the only one having trouble...

Barracuda
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote