View Single Post
Old 08-23-09, 02:03 AM   #13
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highbury View Post
The biggest obstacle to a proper WWI sim on the SH engine is the inability to operate under the prize rules. SH is all about unrestricted submarine warfare. While the Germans did of course declare unrestricted submarine warfare later in the war, for the most part it was conducted under the prize rules. Lothar von Arnauld de la Perière was Commander of U-35 and U-139 in WWI and is the highest scoring of all time (446,708 GRT) .. he only fired 4 torps in his career, and one missed. It was much different then WWII.

So obviously we could get SH to look like a WWI game, but can we get it to play like one?

(I am not knocking the idea, I have far more interest in WWI sims then WWII if I had a choice.)
I have thought up a way to trick SH4 into operating under the prize rules (with limitations) thanks to new modding software, a total revision of the "nationality" concept, & sh4's improved character generation routines. Again, more info soon.

And as for the number of ships, keep in mind that there are already several WWI-era ships in the various Silent Hunter games, so that reduces the workload. For instance, four-pipers, old merchants, & V&W's . Plus, some of us might have been working on WWI ships for other mods.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote