View Single Post
Old 07-21-17, 09:12 AM   #66
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PL_Harpoon View Post
PS. As for your previous post that "It's hardcore players why this genre is dead", I think you're wrong. The reason it's almost dead (CW and upcoming Uboot proves it doesn't) is because it's such a niche subject that even if you were to create a perfect subsim you will not get the attention of a typical casual gamer.
I agree with Wiz33 on this one (I enjoyed your write-up on Steam). Dangerous Waters has a pretty lowly presence on YouTube. I'm the most "popular" uploader of it that I know, and that's not saying too much (I'm saying this for effect only)! That game even got reviewed by X-Play back in the day. Granted, the game did come out at the beginning of YouTube before playthroughs were really a thing, but the response for Cold Waters has been huge. So many channels have done videos for it, including ones with over 100k subscribers, accumulating hundreds of thousands of views in a few days, and this is because of its accessibility. I am confident that if Dangerous Waters 2 were released tomorrow, it would not do as well as Cold Waters has done.

The genre is coming back because it isn't catering to purely hardcore players. Cold Waters is one of those games that you can learn in a day but it takes a while to master. Dangerous Waters just takes a long time to learn it!

Concerning the niche market, it's easier to make/sell an airplane simulator because usually it is just one or two people doing everything. With a submarine, many more compromises have to be made because dozens of people are involved in making a submarine function.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote