View Single Post
Old 08-13-05, 10:05 PM   #21
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

TLAM

This is a direct consequence of the Missle Launch Sound fix. In the DB, all sublaunched missles have a 100 PSL. The TASM and the SS-N-27 (both I have tested and exhibit this phenomenon) are seaskimming missles, travelling over the water at around 30ft.

This entirely unintended, and a consequence of the DW sound physics engine.

You guys can tell me how it should be... I suppose this makes ASM much less attractive now. So I guess I should ask our sonar men: will a seaskimming missle leave a transient?

Edit: Well, I've pretty much figured out that objects travelling at sea-skimming level and little above are treated by the sound engine as being on the surface. This is unexpected and unwelcome, as the fix was the same as that applied to SCX, so I guess that means something has been changed and needs to be changed again. :hmm:

Edit Two: GRRRR..... Well, that didn't take long. SOME sonar sensors are set to have a detection capability at 300ft above sea-level, but not all.

I have to fix this, since the game isn't generally written where I'd want that to be the case. I want to email Amizaur and ask him about this, but I'm pretty sure I can go ahead with this.

Expect an updated version very soon, this should be a simple fix.

Thanks TLAM for bringing this up.