View Single Post
Old 03-30-24, 07:01 AM   #806
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
^ True but what strikes me is the fact that the Taiwanese must have already weighed their options up surely?
It was to be red over the past years that their military is in a shabby state and that the general willingness to fight and resist and do military service had declined fundamentally, accompanied by shortening mandatory service times. This may have canged a bit in the imminent past and they may try to repair the damage they did in the years before. But I assume their military is as vulnerable as that of other nations to think that the next war will be fought by weapons and rules that proved to be successful in the last big war.

In other words, their military thinking might be as petrified as that in many other national militaries as well.

In fact I recall a TV documentary some years ago where they said that there are two camps in strict rivarly in their military, one that is smaller and ticks a bit like I described, and the other being the influential one that still propagates the old, traditional dogma.

All in all my impression is that they are still quite ill-prepared for a Chinese attack. Especially a lack of ammo and reserves seems to be worrying. The US should use the time left to fill Taiwan up to its lower lip with stockpiles of fuel, ammo, and reserves and missiles, missiles, missles.

An M1A2SEP I read costed 24 million in export 2022. A Javelin replacement missiles costs 78,000. For one tank you get almost 310 Javelin replacement missiles. I rest my case.